Thursday, December 4, 2014

Crazy Times

Well I had an interesting Thanksgiving......Instead of the usual eating with family, we had no choice but to eat by ourselves. The kids and I were not feeling so hot. Between throwing up and running to the bathroom made for one interesting time. You can see who in their right mind would want to eat with all of us. One of the other reasons is my family lives clear across the country and the hubby's family lives close by. The problem you see is that the hubby's father is not in the best of health and has prostate cancer and is going through chemo. With his weakened immune system we just didn't want to expose him to our family plague. 

But I do have say the Thanksgiving we did have it was pretty good. I decided this year to brine the turkey. And BOY OH BOY am I glad I did! The turkey was the best I have ever had. If you have never brined a turkey or chicken I highly recommend it. I just wish I would have taken pictures of the beautiful bird in all its glory. Here is a link to the brine I used: Turkey Brine (I bought my at Sprouts Grocery Store for much cheaper.)

With making the turkey and all the fixings for Thanksgiving got me in the mood to make more things at home. I would consider myself a part time prepper and homesteader in the making. 

I am also looking for new recipes to make at home. My feeling is if I can make it at home for cheaper then what it is in the store then I am going to do....Jump in with both feet......no half ass (ok maybe sometimes half ass) try! 

Today's homesteading try was to make homemade crackers. I have to say that these crackers were some of the best I have had. I got the recipe from: Homemade crackers I put cheese in my recipe. They were a HUGE kid favorite. That is huge plus in my book. Now I can spend less money buying crackers at the store. I have also found that this recipe allows you to try different ingredients to add. I think the next time I will use some crunchy peanut butter. (these would be good dog biscuit recipe too!) I will try making a gluten free version to see how they come out. I will post later on what the results are.

Drum roll.........Here are the fruits of my labor:
(Oh and if you would like an awesome coiled fabric basket to serve your crackers in you can find them here: Windy Willow Homestead )




Until next time!



1 comment:

  1. The crackers look yummy! I might have to try the gluten free version :-)

    ReplyDelete